- garlic, minced
- onion, chopped - 1 C
- ground beef - 1.5 lb
- ground pork 0.5 lb (or Italian sausage)
- tomatoes, canned whole - large
- tomato sauce, canned - 15 oz
- parsely, fresh chopped - 2 T
- ricotta cheese - 2 lb
- parmesan cheese - 1 C
- eggs - 2
- mozzarella cheese - 1 lb
- noodles - 1 box
Additional: sugar, salt, bay leaves, oregano. Serves 8-10.
- Saute garlic & onion, add meats til browned, drain off fat
- Add tomatoes, 1T parsley, 1.5T sugar, 1 tsp salt, 3 bay leaves - simmer 1hr until thick
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil noodles per directions
- Mix: ricotta cheese + 1/2 C parmesan + 1 T parsley + 1 tsp salt + 1 tsp oregano + 1 egg
- In oblong dish layer 1/2 of: noodles, meat sauce, mozz cheese, cottage cheese mixture
- Repeat layers, reserve enough meat sauce for a thin top layer, then add 1/2C parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes, until cheese is bubbly in center.
- Let stand 15 minutes and cut into squares.